Monday, April 20, 2009

A little taste of home...

Always in search for a taste of home, we heard from a Singaporean neighbour that you could get pretty good Singapore fare in Toyusu, specifically the Lalaport mall (yes, it's a stupid name) in Toyusu. This past Saturday we hopped into the car, punched the coordinates into the GPS and took a 25 minute drive up the tomei towards Toyusu.

As it turned out the Food Circus foodcourt in Lalaport Toyusu had a little taste of Thailand, Singapore and India... to say the fare was mediocre would be generous. As with all foreign food, once it's catered for the Japanese palate, it just becomes wrong. Imagine buying a fake Louis Vuitton bag from Bangkok, you excitedly bring it back to your hotel room and examine it; then you realize the stitching is off, the colour is off, the pattern is skewed, it looked good at the store, but on closer inspection it's just wrong... ditto for Singapore food in Japan.

The chicken rice was edible... with lots of dark soya sauce

Laksa, close but no cigar...

Rubbery frozen prata with microwaved day-glo orange curry...

Alas the search continues, but I fear like Yamashita's Gold, our hunt for a proper taste of home may never be found...

3 comments:

Vida said...

Don't complain... the other day I got all excited having heard good things about an Asian food chain called the Noodle Bar. When I got there I was so dazzled by the 80s plexiglass decor I foolishly ordered the "Singapore fried noodles". The whole soggy mess was a ghastly mustard yellow thanks to massive amounts of curry powder, dunno how they had the cheek to associate this with Singaporean food.... I could go into details about the Thai beef salad but you get the point.

sashimi said...

True, I would think it'd be pretty hard to find any authentic asian fare in Greece... but I could survive on souvalki and lamb chops!

sing-yee said...

Stick to Prima Mixes and you have no problem with the authentic tastes of Singapore.
Also you'll save yourself a trip and have more time to enjoy the comforts of home.